24 June, 2014
The University of Calgary offers a comprehensive Orientation program to support student success. This post will outline some of the Orientation activities taking place over the Summer. For a full list of Orientation activities for the class of 2018, visit the Orientation 2014 website.
1. New Student Registration Assistance
Whether in Calgary or elsewhere, new undergraduate students can access the New Student Registration Assistance program in the Student Success Centre for questions related to course registration. A team of trained senior students provides one-on-one support over the phone, in person, or by email.
2. Summer Orientation
Summer Orientation is an early half-day introduction to post‐secondary study, and includes sessions on academic and student life, campus tours, and help with registration.
Sessions take place Fridays and Saturdays in July, and August 8th and 9th.
3. Camp LEAD
This is a unique outdoor education experience for first-year students that allows for community building and engagement before Orientation Week. Offered in two sessions, August 17-19 and August 19-21, Camp LEAD brings together approximately 150 students. All incoming undergraduate students are encouraged to participate. Students must register in advance. All accommodation, transportation, meals, and programming are included in the $100 fee.
4. New to our campus: the UCalgary Welcome Centre!
The UCalgary Welcome Centre, funded by Students’ Union Quality Money, is a new program for assisting International and “new to Calgary” students with their immediate transitional needs.
What types of questions may be directed to the UCalgary Welcome Centre?
- How do you use the City of Calgary’s C‐trains, buses and taxi services?
- How do you connect to utilities and find the most affordable mobile phone providers?
- Where can you eat and find food that is culturally relevant or meets special dietary requirements?
- Where is the closest grocery store?
- What neighborhood should I choose to live in?
- How can I find a roommate that would fit my personality and work ethic?
Welcome Centre Contact Information